Pat Hughes’ “sixty days of disaster” as a Senate candidate

Andy Martin says D. Paul Caprio, Jon Zahm and Patrick Hughes are embarrassments to the Republican Party

NEWS FROM:
ANDY MARTIN /2010
Republican for U. S. Senator

“He works for
the People of Illinois”
Suite 4406
30 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611-4723
(312) 440-4124
http://www.AndyforUSSenator.com
http://www.AndyforUSSenator.blogspot.com
http://www.AndyforUSSenator.wordpress.com

http://www.MarkKirk.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Pat Hughes launches a disastrous U. S. Senate campaign, and ends up pitting conservative against conservative

How can Hughes run a statewide campaign on forty thousand dollars?

Andy Martin calls Hughes the “Chumbolone Candidate of the Century,” offers a $25 prize to anyone who can suggest a worse campaign than Hughes’

(CHICAGO)(October 20, 2009) It hardly seems believable but Patrick Hughes launched his “chumbolone campaign” for the U. S. Senate only sixty (60) days ago in Springfield on August 20th.

Since then, Hughes has careened from one calamity to another:

1. Hughes has avoided voting in elections most of his life, and only voted Republican for the first time in 2008. When challenged about these gaps, Hughes said he was “too busy” to vote. If Hughes only discovered he was a Republican in 2008, what did he think he was before 2008? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Hughes hired conservative profiteer D. Paul Caprio to launch his senate campaign. By October 1st, Caprio had been thrown under the bus. Why did Hughes dump Caprio? Caprio’s claim that he left after Hughes’ campaign was “up and running” is a face-saving joke.

3. Hughes says he is an outstanding attorney. Andy Martin disclosed that Hughes had placed himself on “inactive” status with the Illinois Supreme Court. Hughes violated Illinois Supreme Court Rules by holding himself out as a practicing attorney. Hughes was forced to pay past due fees and renew his active status. Jon Zahm smeared Andy for telling the truth.

4. Hughes claimed he is a “real estate developer.” His major real estate development failed to put a shovel in the ground and was sued for non-performance. Now that’s a development!

5. Nine of Hughes’ supporters issued a letter to Republican county chairmen saying they supported Hughes, but failed to disclose some of the signers of the letter were on Hughes’ payroll. By mid-October, Hughes’ original nine signers have shrunk to six for a new letter on October 16th (see below).

6. On August 20th Hughes said he has $400,000 in financial “commitments.” By September 30th, Hughes’ “commitments” have shrunk to $130,000. What happened to the other $270,000 in commitments? Hughes was forced to loan his personal funds to his campaign to make up for the missing “commitments.”

7. Hughes calls himself a wealthy developer and investor, but came out against extending unemployment benefits to Illinois citizens who are facing the brunt of a brutal recession. Hughes’ remarks were the modern equivalent of “let them eat cake.” Who advised Hughes to take this stand? Caprio? Wealthy developer-in-a-recession anyone?

8. On October 16th Hughes “adviser” Caprio and five other individuals (down from nine in August) demanded that Eric Wallace and John Arrington withdraw as senate candidates. Caprio & Co. claimed that Wallace and Arrington previously agreed to do so. Both Wallace and Arrington deny any such “agreement to withdraw” exists. Wallace and Arrington are the Illinois GOP’s only statewide African-American candidates.

9. Hughes claimed he had been “endorsed” by NFL legend Mike Ditka. Hughes also claimed Ditka agreed to serve on Hughes’ “finance committee.” (The “finance committee” with the missing $270,000?) Andy Martin investigated and disclosed that Hughes lied. There was no “Ditka endorsement.” Ditka issued statements denying he ever endorsed Hughes and denying he ever agreed to serve on Hughes’ “finance committee.” In retaliation, Hughes campaign manager Charlie Johnston called Ditka a liar.

10. Hughes disclosed he launched his statewide senate campaign by spending only $40,000 in two months. An independent (non-Martin) web posting says:

“Those in the know say the Hughes candidacy is self-destructing. Funds are scarce. No organization. Operatives have quit. He has no damage control on the Ditka scandal.” (Source: IllinoisReview.com, October 19th)

11. October 19th D. Paul Caprio (him again) launched a “defense” of his role in the Hughes campaign, and triggered a new round of recriminations and counterattacks.

Where is Hughes in all of this chaos? Good question. Maybe hiding. And he wants to be a U. S. Senator?

Pat Hughes’ “sixty days of disaster.” What’s next? Stay tuned.

Closing note: Disillusioned Hughes supporters are very welcome to join Andy Martin’s campaign. Martin is a man whom the Chicago Tribune has called “an absolutely brilliant campaigner.” We are the genuine “conservative answer” to Mark Kirk, focused, friendly and all for Illinois. Please join us.

——————–

WIN THE PRIZE! We believe Pat Hughes’ doofus campaign brands him as the “Chumbolone Candidate of the Century.” We offer a $25 reward to anyone who can come up with a worse statewide campaign by any Illinois candidate (no, Alan Keyes does not qualify; he lived in Maryland) in this century. Send us your suggestions by October 25th. If you can think of anyone worse than Hughes, you win $25.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: